May 9, 2011

A Few Fractured Fairytale Favourites

I have always loved fairytales. They are layered with meaning and often history. The language is rich and they fulfill a part of the reading experience that no other type of book can even touch.


I also love having the opportunity to share them with the children and families that attend my programs at the library and I’m always surprised at how many are not familiar with these stories. I think it’s important that we continue to share them and their various versions so that they do not become forgotten.

I really enjoy sharing “fractured” fairytales in my Reading Buddies program. Reading Buddies is a program we offer for children in grades 1-4 who are reluctant or struggling readers. We offer them time to practice, and learn some new reading skills but my main goal is to show them that books and reading can be fun.

A few of my favourites to share:
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
            In this story we find out the “real” story. The wolf has been framed and is really not the bad guy.


Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn

Little Red-A Fizzingly Good Yarn by Lynn Roberts

“Little Red is happily taking a basket of ginger ale to his grandmother when he stops to gather apples in the woods. Who should grab his red cape, but none other than the wily wolf, who runs immediately to the grandmother's house to devour her and wait for Little Red to be next! With a new, happily-ever-after spin on the story, the boy tricks the wolf into gulping down the entire ginger ale at once, which triggers the wolf to hiccup his grandmother out of his belly” –good reads

I've read this story a few times to different groups and it always gets huge laughs from the kids and volunteers.


Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
Once Upon a time, the End. (Asleep in 60 seconds)
By Geoffrey Kloske

Once upon a time, there was a grown-up looking for a book with very short bedtime stories for a kid who wouldn't go to sleep. So the grown-up picked up this book and read this flap and took the book home and read it out loud and they both laughed and fell fast asleep fast. Just like you. The end.
-goodreads

I LOVE this one it's great to share with the school-age crowd, they enjoy picking out all the parts the dad has cut out of the various fairytales.

Do you have a favourite fairytale that has worked for you in programs, story times or maybe just one that you have loved to read?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! I'm pretty sure I read the first one when I was younger. These are so fun to read! :)

    By the way, I LOVE the new look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By now, I'm sure you know how I feel about fairy tales! :) I'll have to check out the bottom 2 titles. I'm not familiar with those but I've long loved The True Story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Too funny... when my brother bought me a book recently it was The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka!

    ReplyDelete