September 16, 2010

Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Published on August 24th 2010 by Scholastic
400 Pages

***may contain spoilers***

It took me a while to process my feelings on this one. The last of a series always does that to me, especially if it's been one that I loved. (like this one)

I'm still not ready to say good-bye to Katniss. I admire her for so many reasons and I felt sad when I finally closed the book.

I try not to go into a last book with any expectations. I can't imagine what it must be like for the author-writing with so many people waiting in the wings, wondering what's going to happen all with their own opinions of how it should go. I figure that if I don't expect too much then I won't be disappointed. And I wasn't with Mockingjay at all.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the book, and although I didn't finish it with the rush of adrenaline that I had with the previous two, I really liked it. It wasn't perfect and I was absolutely stunned and heartbroken that Prim died. (I did not see that coming at all)

But I feel that it was exactly what it needed to be.
One of the stand out moments in the book was when Coin suggested that they hold another Hunger Games using the children of the capitol. I couldn't believe it...but I think it is an accurate observation of what happens where war, hatred, revenge, thirst for power-hardens the hearts of leaders and their people.

No one is the same after war, whether fighting inside the arena or out of it. Everyone changes-Sometimes for the better-but often not. Katniss was used by both sides. She was utterly alone. I can't imagine what that must feel like. To have no one to turn to. and Peeta.....how heart wrenching that the Capitol would use him against her. I am very glad in the end that they were together.

It's a book series that I'm so happy I read. Thank you to Suzanne Collins to sharing this amazing story with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment