June 5, 2010

48 HBC Update and Reviews

Aside from sleeping last night and a few errands this morning, I've been reading, reading reading. I'm at about 5 hours in total now, which is a bit behind what I was hoping for at this point, but I still have a ways to go.....so hopefully I can make up some time.

I've read two books so far....

The first was
The Line by Teri Hall. I've had this on my to-read list for a long time...


"An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the Unified States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, doom
ing the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It’s said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.

Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel’s dad died in the last war. It’s a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right??

I really liked the premise of the book, I've always been interested in the "unseen" enemy and how others perceptions can cloud our own. I was however, very disappointed with the book. I think it had potential, but it was very predictable and I found the writing stagnant and lacking fluidity.

Next:

Hex Hall (#1) by Rachel Hawkins

"Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters."

I really enjoyed Hex Hall. It had my attention from the first paragraph. The story ran like a movie in my imagination (I love it when that happens). Sophie (the main character) is very likable and I connected to her and cared about what was going to happen to her right away. A page turner, unpredictable and a cliff hanger mean that I'll be waiting anxiously for the next one.

2 comments:

  1. forgot to mention that after only a few hours of reading I'm already blurry eyed....not sure if I'll be able to see tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I get pretty blurry-eyed myself. Especially in the wee hours of the morning. Like now. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete